Monday, August 13, 2012

Working Out at Work

We all know that to be healthy we must be active. Sounds a lot easier than it actually is when you take into account my 10-12 hour a day desk job where I must maintain phone coverage for my clients. I think Amazon.com has helped me find a solution. 

 

For around $30 with shipping I got this little gem to act as my desk gym. Incredibly simple in design, lightweight for taking home on weekends, and sturdy (I've been using it for about a month now and I see no wear as of yet). 

Even though the resistance can be set higher (using the knob on the top), I try to keep it low so I'm not out of breath or sweating at my desk. My goal is not to bike the Tour De France at my desk every day, but simply to get as much movement in as possible. I feel it in my calves after 30 minutes and in my thighs after a good day of pedaling where I rack up an hour or more. 

I don't set myself time limits, but I pedal as much and as often as I can while writing down the time I start and stop (you can also keep a stopwatch at your desk as long as it doesn't reset after it's been inactive for a while). It's easy to rack up 2 hours of pedal-time in anything from 5-15 minutes intervals throughout the day. If you pedal only 5 minutes per hour during an 8 hour shift you have 40 minutes of movement for the day that you would otherwise not have had.

It doesn't replace a good strength training or cardio intensive session, but it definitely helps me continuously work on getting healthier.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment